Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I get my Singer Overlock to sew mock safety stitch?

I had a problem with the 4th needle (4th to be threaded) breaking. I rethreaded several times and changed all needles. It is no longer breaking, but it also isn't stitching. The thread just sits on top of the fabric without being Incorporated into the overlock chain with the other 3 threads. What am I doing wrong??? Could this be a timing issue? How would I fix that?How do I get my Singer Overlock to sew mock safety stitch?The left needle thread isn't chaining?



Try changing the needle (and make sure it's well seated!), and twisting all four threads together after threading before starting the initial chain.



The other two likely issues are misthreading (take all the thread cones completely off the machine and rethread from scratch) and, alas, timing.How do I get my Singer Overlock to sew mock safety stitch?On your serger, both needles when properly inserted should look like one is raised slightly higher than the other...this is the correct setting for the needles...Make sure both needles are the same size too....did you thread your upper looper first and then the lower looper and lastly the needles..

When I bought my serger many years ago I got a book at the library it was so good that I didn't return it...I was a bad girl and told them it was lost and I paid for it because it was an out of print book......I learned a great deal from this book and has taught me many useful and in plain English some wonderful tips on the essentials of serging.....threading the machine in order is absolutely essential for the loops to form properly and not to break when serging....go to the library and check out a few books on serging ......You will be more fruitful with the knowledge you gain from the info..