Monday, September 19, 2011

Rock and Pop-Im not sure if anyone else has brought this up but i am wondering about your opinions on this...?

As you might know Alice In Chains released a single with a new singer. Obviously replacing a dead singer is always very controversial with fans and critics a like and is always a risk. Some do great with new singers (ex. AC/DC) and others completely fail (ex. The Doors). So i was just wondering what you guys think about this new singer/album. I personally was not to keane on the idea at first but i did eventually open up to it. This song was defiantly better then I expected though...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w98ht7j4i



So just some questions about your views on this...



1. Do you like it?

2. Do you like the idea of a new singer?

3. Do you think they should have changed the band name?

4. Have your thoughts on the new singer changed over time?

5. Does it still sound like Alice In Chains to you?



and obviously if you have any other comments share them.



BQ-When he sings %26quot;lay down%26quot; it kind of sounds like he is saying %26quot;layne%26quot; do you think this is intentional?

BQ2-Bands that (in your opinion) did a good job with a new singer?

BQ3- Do you agree with me that Layne Staleys death was one of the most tragic in rock history?

BQ4-If you play an instrument, how long did it take for you to get the hang of it?Rock and Pop-Im not sure if anyone else has brought this up but i am wondering about your opinions on this...?1. I very much enjoyed the song .

2. Yes, it adds something new to the mix, if Jerry just did the vocals, it would pretty much sound like Boggy Depot part 2.

3. No, Jerry, Sean, and Mike, were just as much AIC as Layne was.

4. They've stayed the same. When I first heard about him, I was skeptical of course, but I always had the thought in the back of my mind %26quot;I'm going to give this guy a chance%26quot;.

5. Yes. The song reminded me very much of their %26quot;Dirt%26quot; material.





Other comments - I like that the song is long.

BQ: Wow, I thought the exact same thing. And I also thought it kind of sounded like he said %26quot;Lake.....drown%26quot;, intentional - possibly.



BQ2 - Iron Maiden, Black Flag

BQ3 Highly agree, and unfortunately (although tragic), people did see it coming, and Layne was swept under the carpet, given all of 26 seconds of air time on CNN regarding his death. Cobain got all the glory, and although I like him too, Staley is the real legend.



BQ4 - I played drums for a while, I learned bits and pieces of a lot of songs, but never had the perserverance to sit down and teach myself.Rock and Pop-Im not sure if anyone else has brought this up but i am wondering about your opinions on this...?1. It's actually pretty good

2. Well, they do need a new singer for the other singers to get back together. They could have actually gotten Jerry Cantrell to do the vocals while singing and hire a new backing vocalist/rhythm guitarist.

3. Well, they're playing the same music and it's only one different member. It seems okay for that to happen. If you compare it to Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, they actually really needed another name because the didn't even play the same songs or at least style.

4. Yes! I thought he sucked horribly! When I listened to some of their live stuff with him way before the studio stuff was even announced, I didn't like it. Also one of my friends said he wasn't that good when he went to an AiC concert with him on vocals. He's actually much better in the studio

5. It sounds sorta like Sickman to me, blended together with Jerry Cantrell's Anger Rising, also with the intensity of Them Bones added to it



BQ: That's what I was thinking too. I'm still wondering

BQ2: I could say Black Flag, Sepultura, and Rancid (now with Lars Frederiksen on some songs)

BQ3: Most deaths of rock stars were tragic. This one was about a 6.5 out of 10 because Layne Staley wasn't really doing much around the time of his death

BQ4: Those were way too long for me to remember. The last instrument I learned was a wind instrument and it took me two weeks.Rock and Pop-Im not sure if anyone else has brought this up but i am wondering about your opinions on this...?I like it

I didn't at first, but after hearing it, it gives the music an eerier tone than it used to, I actually like, not as much as I did Layne though.

no, the music is still similar enough to go with the same name, but not completely the same.

Yes.

A little, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be exactly the same.





BQ: no

BQ2: 10 Years

BQ3: yes

BQ4: about a month for guitar, a week for keyboards, a couple of days for bass, and I'm still getting the hang of drums.Rock and Pop-Im not sure if anyone else has brought this up but i am wondering about your opinions on this...?come on, it's the first studio album in 14 years. I was a huge layne fan and even I've gotten over it



1.yes,very much so

2.yes

3.maybe, but cantrelll was always really the heart of the band so he has the right to keep the name

4.yes. he was a lot better than I expected him to be

5.yeah,kind of reminds me of tripod stuff



BQ:yes

BQ2:velvet revolver (pretty much guns n roses without axl)

BQ3:yes, I still think about him a lot

BQ4:as a singer, there's always new dimensions, but i'd say about 6 monthsRock and Pop-Im not sure if anyone else has brought this up but i am wondering about your opinions on this...?1.so far, so good.



2.what and go instrumental or listen to just jerry sing? he needs help...



3.i dunno...its a brand and all...but i bet i would listen to cantrell play if called his band %26quot;Horsesh!t and the flying monkey penis%26quot; but most wouldnt...its theirs to do with as they please



4.yes...its not as stupid now as it seemed a few months back



5.yes...it does...



BQ - meh...im not that high or ready for that kind of disection...but i may be buying it...ill get back to ya.



BQ2 - ac/dc...would pink floyd count?...ill say van halen cause i always felt robbed at shows DLR %26quot;sang%26quot; at and Sammy always worked his *** off and the live shows WERE better with him and i dont care how many thumbs down i get for it.



BQ3 - hmmm...i always thought it was kind of a foregone conclusion with staley. i remember being surprised he lasted as long as he did. tragic? yeah most deaths are...no more than say brad nowell or cliff burton or dimebag tho...



BQ4 - i dunno it took about 6 months till i could practice without the headphones in the amp...



now playing: trip at the brain - suicidal tendenciesRock and Pop-Im not sure if anyone else has brought this up but i am wondering about your opinions on this...?Just heard it for the first time



1. I like it...

2. I like the idea of the new singer because AIC is such a good band.. drummer, bassist, guitar

3. I DO think they should have changed their name.. thats wat I thought all along.. ( what do yo think?)

4. I have always felt the same about the new singer.. I do think he sounds a bit too much like Layne at times...

5. It does sound MOSTLY AIC to me.. If I did not know who this was , i would think it reminded me of AIC..



I did like it, and will get the album..



BQ - I dont think its intentional...

BQ2. hmm. may need to edit.. cant think of any..

BQ3 - yeah - but I wont wallow in it..

BB4 - guitar first then bass. It honestly took me around 1 to 2 years to get it..



thanks, I am glad to share my hearing this song for the first time with you.. edit and tell me what you think, and your answers to the questions...Rock and Pop-Im not sure if anyone else has brought this up but i am wondering about your opinions on this...?1.YES. I love the song-I really do. I didn't expect such a good song!



2.Not generally, but there are those times where it works. And in this case, I think it works! Especially without being disrespectful to Layne.



3.No, I think they wouldn't do anything Layne wouldn't want.



4 Mhm. I came to love it.



5.Yup! Darker, but that fits.



bq-Maybe. Didn't think about that..



bq2-AC/DC, definatly. I really don't like too many more.



bq3-I think it was. Especially since they didn't find his for days. But, Kurt's was just as tragic, as was many others. Jim Morrisons, MJ [if you'd call it rock, haha. Still amazing music.], Elvis, so sudden, odd, and controversial.



bq4-Been playing trumpet for almost 7 years. Came very naturally, actually. Been playing Bass for about 2-3 years. It came to me more naturally than guitar, fosho.