Monday, October 24, 2011

Does anyone know how this should be addressed? Directly or through the chain of command? ?

I have an issue with another person at our office. I am currently working as a feild position for our office. I was in a lead position when I started, but the office is in such a turmoil that this positiion was NOT for me. The stress was over bearing along with it came the nightly phone calls from our Medical Director who more or less befriended me. I heard her opinions of our weak staff, her concerns about how they don't know what htey are doing etc. She only is new the arena 6 months and really doesn't know the speciallty we work in!



I lost the nightly calls once I stepped down to the feild position. I visit patient in their homes, nursing homes etc. I managed nurses in my position. I know I am NOT perfect,but I will say I have 6 years clinical experience behind me and would regard myself as a seasoned nurse who knows what she is doing......



I have noted a trend. Our Medical Director will not listen to advice or input from me. She ok's treatments that are often contraindicated and I have no qualms pointing this out as I figure she doesn't know everything as is learning. I don't do it to be spiteful. But when you order a medication that is hospice contrainidicated.. I will point it out!



Our office doctor has taken it upon herself to send emails to me about %26quot;clinical operations%26quot; and what I should and should not be doing! Last time I checked her role is not mine nor vice versa. Most recently... at our staff meeting I was discussing s patient case that would eventually turn to being a certain way. I was talking about the course or medications that we were doing and what was around the corner asthis patient was failing. I was interupted by our MD.. stated I will not be doing that treatment and you will continue on what he is on! Guess what? 2 days later the condition warranted a change.. and the doctor had no choice but to start the treatment that I recommended 2 days prior. I had multiple staff tell me that MD was trying to embarass me and in turn... she is the one who is.



Should I take this to my nursing manager or the MD??Does anyone know how this should be addressed? Directly or through the chain of command? ?Go through the proper chain of command (nurse manager) or risk being fired. Even if you had a good rapport with the MD (which you do not) it could still be considered inappropriate to address concerns directly.



I would focus on good patient care, excellent record-keeping, and maintain a positive attitude with your immediate supervisor. This will, in the long run, protect your job better.



Do not let the MD's reaction keep you from calling out errors or making suggestions. You know the patient/s better than them. And don't let the MD stop you from caring! You are on the front lines. Thanks for your hard work.Does anyone know how this should be addressed? Directly or through the chain of command? ?I'd go to the MD's boss. When it concerns the lives and well-being of patients, you cannot do what you are certain is wrong. I recommend you keep a log of all interactions with the MD. Keep times, dates and what was discussed. So, that in the future you can pull it out if another big conflict arises.